Thursday, September 20, 2007

the verdict

i got to court painfully early, but was actually relieved to be away from my little girl. she was the valve for our stress today. we all did our best. but there was no shortage of snot and tears and screaming. so i fled the scene as soon as i could.

the courthouse was fairly empty. i had to remove my belt for the metal detector and then tried to make small talk with the deputies while i put it back on. it's a very strange feeling to put a belt on in public, with people watching you.

i went into the courtroom while they were hearing other cases, and sat in the front row. the first case i saw was a hearing against a heavyset elderly black lady walking with a cane. she was all dressed up in a flowy flowery skirt and red lipstick. the attorney for the plantiff talked down to her like she didn't know english. then he said he'd meet with her outside to talk about the case against her. she made her way back out, looking confused.

then the judge, serious and stern up until that point, called someone by the wrong name and then burst into a sweet little giggle. it was nice. it made me smile. he was pretty cute for a judge. i think i might have accidently developed a little crush on him by the time i had to go up there, which made me more nervous than i was already. thankfully i'd developed a fantastically strong ability to mask my emotions in adolescence. that's one good thing that came from all that bullying. the trick is knowing when to use it, and when to be real. today wasn't so much a day to be real. honest, yes. but cool as a cucumber. like those japanese warriors. never flinch.

"calvary investments v. amy"... uh oh, here we go...

i stood up really straight, as if there were a string attached to the tippy top of my head, holding me there. i walked up to the podium, feeling eyes on me. then i waited. the judge swore me in, though there was no bible or anything like that around. "do you swear to tell the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth?" just like the movies. i kept my eyes fixed on his and quietly said "yes."

yes, i will tell the truth. telling the truth is the only way.

but remember - only answer the questions - don't offer details unless the judge asks for them... (such good advice from my loved ones)

the plantiff called me as their only witness, asked me a couple of questions, and insinuated that i fabricated the identity theft as a defense. he glared at me above his bifocals like i was a lying fraud. probably because he usually surrounds himself with liars. i forgive him for it. plus, i had my file there to prove it if i had to. but i didn't. i just looked him in the eye and smiled and quietly answered his questions "yes" and "no" and no more.

when it was my turn to talk i told the judge i had pretty much spelled out my position in my defense paper: i would be happy to pay it if the debt is mine, but since i had some fraudulant information on my account, and since they won't give me anything more than an account number, i still can't tell if the debt is mine or not, and therefore refuse to pay.

then the opposing council asked for an "unsuit"... i think... now the term escapes me but it's something to that effect. the judge explained that calvary wants to drop it for now, but still be able to bring a suit against me later.

then he shook his head and said to the attorney, "questionable practices here. there's really nothing here for her to go on. this isn't much of a bill of particulars." he looked a little disgusted with them, which made me think he was even cuter. then he paused, ruled against the motion for the "unsuit" and then said, "in fairness, this case is dismissed."

i had been rehearsing that moment and the feeling that went with it for days on end. i was so relieved to hear that. "do you understand?" he asked me. i did, pretty much, but i wanted to hear it again. "well, it means that they can't sue you again over this, and that because they didn't make their case, in fairness to you, i have decided to dismiss it. that means it can't come back up again."

"in this form," the attorney piped in, all grouchy like. i didn't bother asking them to explain that part, but from the sound of it, they might try to appeal it in some way.

i thanked the judge as earnestly as i knew how. i secretly wanted to give him a hug. then i strode out of the courtroom, and saw the flowery dressed elderly lady outside waiting for the attorney that just went against me. i told her that i was victorious, and that i didn't have anyone here with me to tell, so i hoped she didn't mind that i tell her. she congratulated me and smiled through her red lipstick.

i could feel her anxiety, so i sat down with her and listened to her talk about confusion over a mystery debt from wal-mart. then i warned her about the silver-tongued attorney. i reminded her that he's not on her side. then i laid my hand on her shoulder and blessed her. her whole face lit up like one of those hallogen lamps. "you a cute thing!" she said loudly, with a big laugh. "i'm glad you won!"

yeah, me too.

Lord, thank you for the victory today. thank you for keeping your hand on that sweet lady i met, and for helping her through this hard time. thank you for helping me forgive that lawyer for treating me like a liar, and those collectors for making my life a little more stressful. bless them and keep them close to you so that they may see a better way to live. in Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

Riona said...

I am continuously suprised at how you turn the smallest and meanest of moments into something beautiful.

You always remind me that every step of our day is something we live, not just pass through, and can live with the spirit and joy and goodness that we hope to live all of our lives.

amy said...

that is so sweet. thank you.

i'm very happy to hear from you.